Spanish Blues Night: Susan Santos & A Contra Blues
12 octobre | 20h | Aalt Stadhaus | 20€
A great passion for music led Susan Santos to learn, in a self-taught way, how to play guitar and sing. Step by step the lefty guitarist and singer was creating her own songs and her particular style of understanding music.
After several bands, she moved to Madrid in 2009 and formed a band with her own name. This is her more powerful project, a power trio that mixes blues, rock and American roots music.
She has had intense years of performing in famous clubs and at numerous festivals in Spain, France, Norway, Belgium, the Netherlands, Estonia and England as well as Chicago and Los Angeles in the USA. Santos appears also quite often in various TV shows, musicals and plays.
She recorded 4 CDs: Take me home, (Grasa Records, 2010), Shuffle Woman (Peer Music, 2012), Electric Love (Paella Records, 2014) and Skin & Bones (Paella Records, 2016). Skin & Bones is their fourth album and was recorded in Madrid (Spain) in three days with her usual trio. It was mixed in Los Angeles (California).
"I feel that Skin & Bones is the album that Susan Santos always wanted to do. The sound horizons have expanded and breathe an atmosphere of comfort. There is closeness and complicity in every note. Susan has grown a lot. We knew her skin, but we have now reached the bone." (Manolo Fernández, Radio 3 Spain).
Susan's outstanding voice and appealing guitar style, along with her strong stage presence is very refreshing in the contemporary blues scene. Blues rock of the 21st century.
A Contra Blues
A Contra Blues is definitely one of the best bands within the current European scene. The band is backed up by the European Blues Challenge 2014 winners award, a ten-year musical career, more than six hundred concerts and six records. The band has not stopped traveling and playing the most varied stages since its debut; starting in the streets of Barcelona and reaching the major European festivals.
The band's stage presence is undeniable, a unique experience full of energy, strength and empathy with the audience.
Among the festivals the group has played we can highlight:
- Münchensteiner Bluesnight (Switzerland 2016)
- Festival LézArt Vert (France 2016)
- Differdange Blues Express (Luxembourg 2016)
- Blues'n Jazz Rallye (Luxembourg 2015, 2014)
- Festival Blues Barcelona (Spain 2015)
- Olsztyn Blues Nights (Poland 2015)
- Nidaros Blues Festival (Norway 2015)
- Bluesfestival Basel (Switzerland 2015)
- Frederikshavn Blues Festival (Denmark 2014)
- Notodden Blues Festival (Norway 2014)
- Sierre Blues Festival (Switzerland 2014)
- Hondarribia Blues Festival (Spain 2014)
- Baixa da Banheira Blues Fest (Portugal 2014)
- Benicàssim Blues Festival (Spain 2014)
- Festival Internacional de Blues de Cáceres (Spain 2013)
- Festival Internacional de Blues de Cazorla (Spain 2009)