All births must be declared to the civil registrar of the municipality where the birth took place within five calendar days (not counting the day of delivery).
Documents to be presented at the time of the birth declaration:
- medical notice of birth
- family record book or, failing that, the identity papers of the declarant and the mother.
- Important information for the first common child: if one of the parents is of Luxembourg nationality or born in the Grand Duchy: + joint declaration of attribution of name signed by the parents.
After the declaration of birth
The Birth Registration Office provides you with complete copies of the birth certificate, one copy of which is to be handed in :
- to your employer,
- to the Caisse pour l’Avenir des Enfants (BP 394, L-2013 Luxembourg) together with the application for family and birth allowances,
- to your health insurance.
And possibly :
- to the Caisse Médico-Chirurgicale (if you are insured there),
- to your insurance company (life insurance),
- to the Ministry of Housing (if you are receiving housing assistance),
- to the embassy or consulate of your country in Luxembourg (if you do not have Luxembourg nationality).
ID for your child
- The child is of Luxembourgish nationality: apply to the citizens office of your municipality of residence (if you do not live in the Grand Duchy: apply to the CTIE)
- The child is of another nationality: apply to your embassy/consulate (for further information please contact your embassy/consulate)