- birth certificate (full copy with indication of the names of the father and mother) dating from less than 3 months if it was issued in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and less than 6 months if it was issued abroad
- residence certificate (with indication of civil status) for each of the future spouses who have not had their legal residence in the city of Differdange for at least 6 months.
- death certificate of the previous spouse, if applicable
- marriage certificate with mention of divorce or transcription of the divorce judgment
- birth certificate of the children to be legitimized
In addition, for foreign nationals
- for German nationals: Certificate of matrimonial capacity “Ehefähigkeitszeugnis”. The certificate is issued at the request of the civil registrar by the municipality of the last domicile in Germany. If the German national has never lived in Germany, the “Standesamt-Berlin” is competent (Standestamt-I Berlin, 9 Rückerstrasse, D-11019 Berlin).
- for US American nationals: “Affidavit”, drawn up by the Embassy in Luxembourg (22, bvd E. Servais, tel: 46 01 23).
- for Austrian nationals: Certificate of matrimonial capacity “Ehefähigkeitszeugnis”, issued by the embassy in Luxembourg (3 rue des Bains, tel: 47 11 88 -1).
- for British and Irish nationals: Certificate of No Impediment (CNI), to be issued by the respective embassies. British embassy: 5, Bvd Joseph II, Luxembourg, tel: 22 98 64-1 / Irish embassy: 28, rte d’Arlon, Luxembourg, tel: 4 506 10-1).
- for Cape Verdean nationals: Certificate of matrimonial capacity, issued by the embassy in Luxembourg (46, rue Goethe, tel: 26 48 09 48).
- for Spanish nationals: Certificate of matrimonial capacity, issued by the embassy in Luxembourg (4, bvd E. Servais, tel: 46 02 55 -310).
- for French nationals: Certificate of capacity for marriage, issued by the consulate in Luxembourg (8-B, bd Joseph II, tel: 45 72 71 -1).
- for Italian nationals: Certificate of matrimonial capacity, issued by the consulate in Luxembourg (25, rte d’Esch, tel: 44 36 44 -1).
- for Dutch nationals: Certificate of matrimonial capacity, issued by the municipality of the last domicile in the Netherlands or by the embassy in Luxembourg (6, rue Ste Zithe, tel: 22 75 50 -1).
- for Portuguese nationals: Certificate of matrimonial capacity, issued by the Consulate General in Luxembourg (282, rte de Longwy, tel: 44 71 83).
- for Swiss nationals: Certificate of matrimonial capacity “Ehefähigkeitszeugnis”, issued by the embassy in Luxembourg (25-A, bvd Royal, tel: 22 74 74 74 -1).
For all nationalities not listed above, custom certificates are to be requested from their respective embassies, either in Luxembourg or in one of the neighboring countries (Belgium, France, Germany)
- person born in Luxembourg and domiciled there since birth: Wedding publications are published at the Italian Consulate. The person concerned must provide a certificate of residence from all the municipalities in which the applicant has resided in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
- person born abroad: Wedding publications are published in Italy. The Civil Registrar will inform the competent municipality through the Italian consulate in Luxembourg.
The interested parties must present themselves together at the Portuguese Consulate General in Luxembourg, with the following documents:
- recent birth certificate (no older than 6 months)
- national identity card
- foreign national identity card or certificate of residence
The Consulate proceeds to the publication of the marriage in the consular chancellery. After the conclusion of the file, the certificate of matrimonial capacity is transmitted together with the supporting documents to the municipal administration concerned.
Please note: If there is a child born before the marriage, it is necessary to make the official recognition(s) before the civil celebration of the marriage. Indeed, the child will not be able to have the status of a legitimate child if official recognition has not been made before marriage.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR THE FUTURE SPOUSES:
Please note that all required documents are subject to stamp duty and chancery taxes. It follows that all documents must be settled in cash in the hands of the delegated official BEFORE the publication of the marriage! Expenses may vary according to the necessary documents and are estimated between 10 and 20 € per wedding.