The possession of an identity card is mandatory for any person of Luxembourg nationality aged 15 and over and having their habitual residence in a Luxembourg municipality. For Luxembourgers under 15 years of age, an identity card is not mandatory but is issued upon request. However, it is mandatory for minors if you leave Luxembourg!
Applicants must apply in person at the citizens office (Biergeramt). For minors, the presence of a custodial parent or legal guardian is mandatory.
The photo will be taken directly at the municipality, using the equipment installed there in accordance with OACI standards.
The deadline for issuing an identity card under the standard procedure is 10 working days. The exact date will be communicated to you at the time of the application.
Any adult citizen may have two certificates on his identity card allowing them to:
- electronically sign their documents and transactions online, with a legal value equivalent to a handwritten signature;
- securely connect to multiple state and private online applications.
The activation of certificates is optional and the respective decision is taken at the time of application.
Cost of an ID card
- 14 € for an ID card with a validity period of 10 years (holder over 15 years old)
- 10 € for an ID card with a validity period of 5 years (holder between 4 and 15 years old)
- 5 € for an ID card with a validity period of 2 years (holder under 4 years old)
- 45 € for an accelerated procedure
The amount must be paid in advance to the following account:
Account: IBAN LU44 1111 7028 7715 0000
Code BIC: CCPLLULL
Beneficiary: TS-CE CTIE
B.P.1111 | L-1011 Luxembourg
Communication: Surname(s) and first name(s) of the ID card holder(s)
Documents to be submitted with the application:
- expired identity card or a loss/theft report issued by the Police
- proof of payment of the fee indicated above (e.g. copy of transfer)
Current identity cards will remain valid until their expiry date and will only be renewed under the following conditions:
- at the end of the validity period stipulated on the card (less than 3 months)
- when the photograph of the holder no longer corresponds to their current appearance
- when the card has been lost, stolen or damaged
- in the event of a change of surname(s) or given name(s) and in the event of the addition or removal of the name of a living or deceased spouse
- in the event of a change in the identification number
Further information can be obtained at de Biergeramt.
For babies under 12 months of age, you may bring your own or a professional photo that meets ICAO standards.
Make an appointment: rdv.differdange.lu
For more information on the procedures to follow, please consult guichet.lu.