Thanks to the bike rental system Vël’OK, you can travel through the municipalities of Differdange, Bettembourg, Dudelange, Esch-sur-Alzette, Sanem, Schifflange, Rumelange and Kayl on a rented electric bicycle. The Differdange stations have been operational since 2015.
What is Vël’OK?
Vël’OK is a bike rental system initiated by the city of Esch-sur-Alzette and managed by the CIGL. Conventional and electric bicycles are available to the population 24/7 at different stations in the participating municipalities.
How much does Vël’OK cost?
The use of Vël’OK bikes is entirely free (financed by the participating municipalities)
Where are the stations located?
- rue Émile Mark (pedestrian zone), Differdange
- rue Émile Mark (Auchan), Differdange
- car park Centre-ville, Differdange
- Differdange cemetery
- avenue de la Liberté (bridge), Differdange
- place Prince Jean, Oberkorn
- Aquasud (rue Jean Kremer), Oberkorn
- um Biergwee/rue de la Gare, Oberkorn
- Hall O, Oberkorn
- Oberkorn cemetery
- rue Pierre Gansen (school car park), Niederkorn
- rue de l’église (cemetery car park), Niederkorn
- car park CHEM, Niederkorn
- Z.I. Haneboesch (car park), Niederkorn
- route de Pétange (cité de la Chiers), Niederkorn
- 1535° (rue Émile Mark), Fousbann
- rue Woiwer (car park rue Neuwies), Fousbann
- rue de Hussigny, Differdange
- Cité Breitfeld, Differdange
- Grand-rue (Lagano), Differdange (2020)
- Plateau Funiculaire, Differdange
- rue Prënzebierg, Niederkorn
- rue Pierre Gansen/rue de Sanem, Niederkorn
- Mathendahl, Niederkorn
- PAP Ouschterbour, Oberkorn
- rue Louis Meyer/place des Alliès (Wuelmswiss), Fousbann
- rue Josy Goerres/rue Catherine Krieps Welbes, Fousbann
- rue de Soleuvre (new housing development), Fousbann
Do I need to register?
Yes, before you can borrow a bike, you must register at one of the Vël’OK subscription points. In Differdange, this is the town hall.
To register, you need to go to the town hall with an identity document, a bank card and an mKaart if you have one. The mKaart is a rechargeable smart card that allows you to use Luxembourg public transport. It is free of charge and you can obtain it at the Biergeramt if you do not have one.
At the Biergeramt, you have to fill in a form with your personal details and authorize a 150 € charge to your account to ensure that you return the bike. Please note: The 150 € will not be debited from your account. It is only an authorization just in case.
Using a bike:
Once you have registered, you can start using Vël’OK. To do so, simply go to the station of your choice and choose your bike. Place your activated mKaart on the bike terminal. The terminal emits a beep to let you know that the bike is free.
Returning the bike:
Go to the station and terminal of your choice and put the bike back in the terminal’s slide. The terminal emits a beep and a green light comes on.
How long can I keep the bike?
You can use the bike for up to two hours. If you exceed two hours, the Vël’OK team will call you and ask you to return the bike.
Are there any conditions?
You must be at least 14 years old. You are entirely responsible for the bike until you return it. Wearing a helmet is not compulsory, but strongly recommended. It protects your head in case of an accident.
The Vël’OK application offers access to all information about the bike rental service. It is aimed at citizens, tourists, students and professionals who want to travel free of charge via soft mobility in the south of Luxembourg.
The user can access different services that allow:
- to subscribe online to be able to choose among the bikes and e-bikes in self-service mode
- to find the stations with real-time availability of bikes and e-bikes at each station
- locate the nearest stations and guide to a station
- to call a hotline directly in case of a problem or to report a technical incident from a station or a bike online
The Vël’Ok-App (free) is available in the AppStore or on Google Play.